Thursday 10 December 2015

The perils of globe-trotting with technology

We have a problem

Early-morning view from my window
The first upset was Radio Lincolnshire. We were going to do a live interview, which I thought would be about my experiences at the Ayurvedic Clinic. I had prepared all my notes and we had achieved a quality voice link-up through FaceTime, but 5 minutes before we were due to go live, they emailed to say they'd changed their mind about the subject. The media sometimes act like this, and you just play along with it and look for another opportunity, - no point in objecting.

Things then started to deteriorate, when an electrical surge played havoc with my plans. Monday night was stormy. Ear-shattering thunderclaps and frequent brief losses of the electricity supply.
Next, the charger for my laptop gave a succession of loud cracks and the air was filled with the pungent smell of an electrical short-circuit. There must have been some sort of voltage surge. I quickly pulled out the plug,noted that the charger was warmer than usual to touch, and would clearly have to be replaced.
Using some of the remaining battery-life on the lap-top, I tracked down the appropriate device on E-Bay India, and by next morning had it on order, thanks to the kind cooperation of my host here and his Rupee credit card. 

But it wasn't all resolved, because when I went to bed on Monday, I noticed the burnt small was still lingering. The electrical surge had burnt out my CPAP machine which lets me sleep peacefully every night, despite having suffered for 20-odd years from Obstructive Sleep-Apnoea.  
Having been used to a forced current of air in my windpipe every night for 20 years, it was a strange and disturbing sensation to try and sleep just with my head on the pillow. Monday night was difficult; Tuesday was better but by Wednesday, I was almost dropping off normally. I have been negotiating with the NHS to courier a replacement, but I am not sure whether that will happen this side of Easter.

Apart from these distractions. . .

The cuisine is nothing to write home about!
I have had a week of fierce massages and soothing herbal baths, a strict minimalist vegetarian diet and plenty of time to think about the week ahead.

I have one more day of treatment here, then I take the night train tomorrow, across from Kerala into Tamil Nadu. I plan to arrive at the monastery/ashram in time for breakfast.

We shall be an international mix of laity, monks and clergy, gathering for four days of to meet up and discuss what ideas we can share about the unique community model developed at Shantivanam.

And then there's Christmas, which was hugely enjoyable last year, but anything could happen before then!.

At least I should have my laptop working. Writing this on the old communal machine in the recreation room has been challenging,













1 comment:

  1. No idea what a CPAP is but sounds to me as if you don't really need one! You see, mystic India has worked it's healing magic already and you haven't even suffered the hot oil yet.

    ReplyDelete