Wednesday 9 March 2016

Bangalore Slum Children

World Trade Centre in Bengaluru
Although I have always wanted to visit Bengaluru (Bangalore,) it wasn't on my itinerary for this trip. Then there was a succession of coincidences (if you believe in coincidences!) There was an email, a text-chat, an invitation to look at an educational project and, above all, a strong sense that this was all happening for a reason. And so I booked a flight and asked if they would find me an inexpensive room.  I had no idea who I was dealing with! They might have been professional thieves, or con-artists, but I followed my instincts, and they were good people, so that I now have another new task - looking for ways to help them with an exciting project. 


India is a country of many languages. Although there are two main languages, Hindi and English, there are 22 recognised official languages across the country. Basic education is taught in one of these local languages, but the secret to breaking into middle and higher education is to be in a school where English is the teaching medium, providing the basic building blocks towards various types of School Certificate. 

It was in the recognition of this that James and Hilda Ambat set up "Building Blocks": a network of schools enrolling children from city slums, and teaching them English - reading and writing -, as the basis of a comprehensive curriculum including arithmetic, social science, general knowledge and other core subjects, all taught in the medium of English. 
Bangalore slums

The Building Block schools are secular and all have children from Hindu, Christian (Catholic and Protestant) and Muslim communities. The schools are highly selective, only taking the poorest children from the worst slums of Bangalore, and then giving them a kindergarten/infant education that is second to none.

Well-equipped classrooms with modern teaching aids
The staff are all professionals and are totally committed to the founders' vision of the power of education to lift people out of poverty. They are supported by an efficient administration in addition to full-time social workers. 

The admissions process is stringently controlled. First, there is a scheduled appointment. Then, to verify that the family are genuinely in need of financial assistance, there is an unannounced surprise visit to check that the first interview was not artificially staged. Thereafter the social workers keep a close eye on the family so that they are aware of any difficulties or problems.

All school children in India wear uniforms - which is always a shock to UK visitors, seeing the crowds of children all immaculately turned out. The uniform is a source of pride, to both the parent and the pupil, and is always freshly laundered and pressed.

Order and discipline are almost taken for granted: when I visited one of the schools I was met with a boisterous chorus of "Good Morning, Sir!" - and a sea of broad smiles. 


The magic of Building Blocks is primarily in the hands of the founders, supported by their dedicated teams. They have several major corporate sponsors in addition to various schemes in which individuals can pledge their support. 

I was enchanted by the whole operation, to the extent that after visiting the first school I had to hide myself away briefly and let the tears flow. To see a scheme that is so focused and so successful is truly inspirational.

But they need funding: and that is a project that I am working on. I will let you know when my ideas are more developed, but if you want to help straight away, drop me a line and I shall put you in touch with the organisation in India. 
Teaching them to learn in English gives them a head-start

No comments:

Post a Comment